Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Finding Angel by Kat Heckenbach

Storyline: Angel doesn't remember her magical heritage...but it remembers her. Magic and science collide when she embarks on a journey to her true home, and to herself.

Angel lives with a loving foster family, but dreams of a land that exists only in the pages of a fantasy novel. Until she meets Gregor, whose magic Talent saves her life and revives lost memories. She follows Gregor to her homeland...a world unlike any she has imagined, where she travels a path of self-discovery that leads directly to her role in an ancient Prophecy...and to the madman who set her fate in motion.

My Thoughts: After reading the sample on Amazon, I simply had to buy this book. Angel is a very fun character, and she's not even the best yet. (My favorite is Kalek. He's an Elven rocker. How cool is that?) I loved the setting. The peaceful island farm, the forest of magical trees, and the town that reminds me of a quieter, more Irish version of Hogsmeade, are such lovely places to visit between the pages of this book. The mystery kept me turning pages, and I finished this book much more quickly than I wanted to.

Angel's prophecy kind of confused me when it entered the story, but some of that was resolved by a re-read. I kept losing track of the words of the prophecy. It might not have been a problem had I been reading a real copy and not the un-flippable Kindle version.

The cover is very pretty, and suits the story in a way you probably won't guess.

Recommendation: Read this if you like magic and fairytales (and especially if you also like science!) Fans of Donita K. Paul's Dragon Keeper Chronicles might especially like it. Yes, there are dragons. :)

Author's site
Finding Angel on Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Forestmaiden, thank you so much! I just discovered this review today--and it totally made my day!

    PS--Kalek is my favorite, too :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made your day... so many moons ago! Hey, when I saw you commented it made my day, too. :)

      I wonder how Kalek would respond if he knew how much everyone likes him. ;)

      Delete